Sunday, May 8, 2016

YAC // The Experience




August brought a new adventure for me.

--

After getting filled with the fullness of God at a church camp in 2011, I found myself jokingly praying to live there. I wanted to be surrounded by Love and by people on the same mission as me, because that's what it is right? Church Camp.

Two years later I had a new camp experience at Youth America in OKC. On the last night of camp I found out they had this internship for kids who have graduated high school to help deepen their relationship with Jesus and give them the experience they need to build the kingdom. Something in me craved that.

Another two years and I found myself spending two extra weeks as a summer intern, working behind the scenes at Youth America Camp. In these two weeks I experienced tons of spiritual growth and an ambition to run despite all earthly limits. Nothing was going to stop me. At the end of my summer intern experience, I took the step of telling my parents that I felt like Jesus was telling me to spend my first college year at what had transformed from Next Generation Internship to Youth America College.

Everything was laid out for me. After everything that tried to get in the way, I was with my amazing family on our way to Oklahoma City. Eric was on his way as well and we both were making a life-changing transition that would soon bring us much closer. My family was torn between helping me do what Jesus was calling me to do, and wanting me to stay home. They did everything they knew how to support me and show me that they loved me deeply.

The first few months of YAC were battles upon battles. Fights I had with my parents and self doubt arose as I was pursuing the mission I was on to run this marathon. I had one constant best friend who became my boyfriend. Eric. We spent our free time talking and lifting each other up. Even in the numbness and depression that tried to rise up against me, he was there. He had his insecurities, and I had mine. But nothing was about to stop us from what we have been called to do.

The next few months I began to feel at home in OKC. The drivers suck but that dusty place grew on me. There were many things that I started to notice I loved about the college, and many things I hated. Gossip was a big issue, and it began to take a toll on me. I walked in on one of my friends talking about how I wasn't the type of girlfriend Eric needed. There was one person who seemed to get on my nerves by saying I wasn't a leader. He said this often. I kept being reminded of something, though: we are all human. It's a struggle, but I can't hold it against them.

We all live in faulted flesh. We all have our battles and insecurities. 

We all feel worn and unappreciated sometimes.

On Tuesday of last week, I felt like it was time for me to come home. Finding out that all of the credits don't transfer to every college like they advertised sucks, but that isn't why I left. Jesus was pulling my heart back to Missouri. Things just started lining up for the past few months after praying for certainty to know what to do. Although I won't be staying to help with camp, I leave knowing I left a mark.

We are all human. We all need love.

Here is a video of me talking about the experience I had at Youth America College. Check it out.


Now I plan to go to college. I will carry the Love with me. Eric is going to be attending another college as well. 

Just because you can't see what's next, doesn't mean that your future is not there. Do not be afraid of uncertainty. 

For who is God save the Lord? or who is a rock save our God?
It is God that girds me with strength, and makes my way perfect.
He makes my feet like hinds' feet, and sets me upon my high places.
Psalm 18:31-33

No comments:

Post a Comment